A SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY
Please reference these works to learn more about systemic racism and movements for racial equity in higher education at the University of Virginia and beyond
- AAhmed, S. (2012). On being included: Racism and diversity in institutional life. Duke University Press.
- Barton, C. E. (2001). Sites of memory: Perspectives on architecture and race. Princeton Architectural Press.
- Boulton, M. (2007). How the GI Bill failed African-American Vietnam War veterans. The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, 58, 57-60.
- CCole, E. R. (2020). The campus color line: College presidents and the struggle for Black freedom. Princeton University Press.
- Dancy, T. E., Edwards, K. T., & Earl Davis, J. (2018). Historically white universities and plantation politics: Anti-Blackness and higher education in the Black Lives Matter era. Urban Education, 53(2), 176–195.
- Harold, C. N., and Nelson, L. P. (Eds.). (2018). Charlottesville 2017: The legacy of race and inequity. University of Virginia Press.
- Harold, C. N. (2012). Of the Wings of Atalanta: The struggle for African American Studies at the University of Virginia, 1969–1995. Journal of African American Studies, 16(1), 41-69.
- Harold, C. N. (Producer) & Everson, K. J. (Director). (2014). Sugarcoated arsenic [Film]. Trilobite-Arts-DAC.
- Harold, C. N. (Producer) & Everson, K. J. (Director). (2016). We demand [Film].
- Haynes, C., & Bazner, K. J. (2019). A message for faculty from the present-day movement for black lives. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 32(9), 1146-1161.
- Heinecke, W. F., Cole, R., Han, I., Mthethwa, N. (2016). Student activism as civic engagement: Challenging institutional conditions for civic leadership at University of Virginia. In K. M. Soria and T. D. Mitchell (Eds.), Civic engagement and community service at research universities (pp. 219-239). Palgrave Macmillan.
- Libresco, L. (2015, December 3,). Here are the demands from students protesting racism at 51 colleges. FiveThirtyEight.
- Ndemanu, M. T. (2017). Antecedents of college campus protests nationwide: Exploring Black student activists’ demands. The Journal of Negro Education, 86(3), 238–251.
- Turner, J. A. (2010). Sitting in and speaking out: student movements in the American South, 1960-1970. University of Georgia Press.
- UCARE: University and Community Action for Racial Equity
- Wilder, C. S. (2013). Ebony and ivy: Race, slavery, and the troubled history of America’s universities. Bloomsbury Publishing USA.